Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Frisbee/Basketball Connection

Hey everyone! Its the weekend, I know Im happy about it. Dont know about you all but I will be going to the new Harry Potter movie later today (with spanish subtitles of course...), yay!

Anyways, I wanted to make a post about my Friday nights. Friday nights in Gamboa is Frisbee night. Basically a whole bunch of townies, Panamanians and researchers alike get together and play some ultimate frisbee. Its really fun and interesting because everyone has their own levels of english or spanish that they speak, and I get to meet all kinds of people. If you havent ever played ultimate frisbee before, you should try it, its awesome and alot like basketball. First of all one of the rules is you cant "walk" so no running with the frisbee after you catch it, just like when you pick up your dribble. So then the defense is forced to play with their feet and hands to try to make your next pass as hard as possible. Plus the best way to play defense is to keep yourself between your man and the frisbee! Offense is like a 5 man weave, you run and cut and try to get past your defender. I was L cutting all last night, yall would have been proud! We usually play like 8 on 8 but last night there were so many people that I played in a game with 4-4, so it was extra hard, but still very fun. Got lots of sprints in, check that off the workout :).

So the whole point about this is that I love Friday nights because they remind me about people's love of sport! Sport is fun! Being competitive is fun, praising your teamates and offering suggestions is fun! Even if you only understand what people are saying only half the time! Its all about making everyone feel welcome and enjoying the time we have to run around and burn energy. You make friends with people you would not have otherwise met or cared to try to meet before. Its amazing. I love it! It makes me lucky to be able to participate and to appreciete my time and experience dedicated to sport.

Now that I feel old and nostalgic, Im off!

Hasta pronto, 40 something days till the semester,

Amor y abrazos,

LA

No comments:

Post a Comment